Choosing the right summer camp for your child can be a challenging and sometimes overwhelming task. Since there are a seemingly endless variety of choices to consider, matching the ideal camp to your child's interests, personality, and busy schedule can be daunting. Furthermore, as a parent, you have the responsibility of ensuring the camp you choose for your child is operated in a safe and appropriate manner for your child's age and skill levels.
The following is a camp selection checklist for parents to consider when considering summer camp opportunities for their kids:
1. Identify the camp's program emphasis.
2. Confirm that the camp is accredited by the American Camp Association.
3. Ask about the camp director's background.
4. Camper-to-counselor ratios.
5. Inquire about camp staff: Your child's counselors can make or break a child's camp experience.
6. Accommodation of special needs.
7. Find out about how the camp handles discipline.
8. Check the camp's references.
Good luck choosing a camp and have a great summer!